Skills & Talents
Links & Resources
Facts & Trends
Retailing: Links & Resources
Career Information, Company Profiles and Contacts
- Opportunities in Retailing Careers
- By Roslyn Dolber, Lincolnwood, Ill.: VGM Career Horizons. There are a number
of career possibilities in the field of Retailing. This book takes an in depth
look at the retailing alternatives and provides the reader with helpful retail
- A superb summary of the field from the National
- Find Job Listings
- Thousands of job sites with one search. Provided by
Indeed.com, "a one stop shop for job seekers" (Wall Street Journal).
- Has listings of retail jobs.
- The Black Collegian Online, "Industry Report:
Career in Retailing.
- Background info from Central Michigan University.
Career Starter: Move Ahead in this Fast Growing Field
- By Valerie Lipow, Learning Express. You will find: Descriptions of retailing career opportunities
and trends that go beyond minimum wage jobs and entry-level clerk/cashier
positions. Many of these are technology-intensive careers, and many retailing
careers are very highly-paid! Descriptions of personal skills and qualities of
successful retailing professionals. Real-world comments, "war
stories", and recommendations from retailing industry professionals and
- Retail Management Recruitment Specialists. The largest recruiter in
retail in Canada.
- ESC 2000.
- Retail job search specialists.
- Retail Network.
- Job search for the Retailing industry.
Execs: A Rare Commodity
- Discount Store News, October 1998. This story discusses the shortage of good people in retailing
and excellent opportunities for those who do the time.
Retail Execs Profit from Technology
- By Valerie Patterson, from Careers.WSJ.Com. October 20, 1998. Talks about growing need for IT expertise in
the retail sector.
- International Association of Chain Stores
- 3800 Moor Place, Alexandria, VA 22305, (703) 683-3136. These folks know
who's who in the business. Not a bad place to write or call if you have
- 100 West 31st Street, New York, NY 10001, (212)
244-8780. This is ground zero of the retail industry. Call if you have
questions and be sure to ask about their publication Stores which follows
Ideas and Know-How
for Retailing Education and Research.
- Courtesy of the University of
Florida. Has information on internship options and appropriate courses.
Does it Take to Turn Around a Retail Chain in Trouble?
- A story about
Bon Marche, from Columbia University Business School.
for Power Retail
- From Advertising Age.
- Can you name these 26 retailer logos?
- National Retail Federation, Dictionary
of Retailing and Merchandising.
- What is an endcap? FIFO? A loss
leader? Understanding the language of retail is essential to working in
the industry. Written by an expert lexicographer, it contains the
terminology used in every segment of the industry--from shipping and
receiving to marketing and advertising. Features over approximately 4,500
clear, concise definitions and includes terms pertaining to buying,
merchandising and visual display, catalog and mail-order marketing,
consumer research, retail data processing, accounting and more.
Management: A Strategic Approach.
- By Joel R. Evans and Barry Berman.
Prentice-Hall. A comprehensive text on retailing that provides a good
balance between theory and practice and useful career information.
Ideas to Create Retail Excitement
- By Edgar A. Falk, Prentice
Hall. An important aspect of the success of any retail operation is the
"atmospherics" of the retail store. This book discusses how to
create an image, draw customers, and promote the store.
Magazines and Newspapers (Online and Off)
- Careers in Retailing
Store News. Available for free at career centers on a biennial basis or by
writing to Vanessa Saldana, Discount Store News, 425 Park Ave., New York NY
10022. You may also call (212) 756-5152. Highly recommended! Packed with stories
on current trends, employer ads and stories on what retailers want in employees.
- Chain Store Age Executive.
- (212) 371-9400. This is a key magazine in the retail business
which covers developments in general merchandise, department and specialty chain
stores. Provides annual rankings in various retail categories. Also ask about
Discount Store News, Drug Store News and a variety of directories to retail
- HFD Retailing Home Furnishings.
- (212) 630-4800. Furniture is a fun and competitive business that's looking for really creative,
entrepreneurial types. If this appeals, you might try reading industry
periodicals like this one before you jump in.
- RT Online
- The Technology Magazine for Retail Executives. Technology is transforming the
industry. Tracking the trends is a key way to prepare for a career in retail.
- The Leading Supermarket Industry Magazine for the Past 76
Years. Some of the best and most reliable retailing jobs are in grocery stores.
- Sports Trend Magazine.
- The Magazine of the Sporting Goods Industry. Track one of the most
dynamic industries in retail.
- The official magazine of The National Retail Federation. You'll find a wealth of
industry and career info here.
- Wall Street Journal.
- The most widely read
business periodical in the world. And it's on the net! You must register for the net
version. Great way to keep up with what's going on in the markets and the world. Following
tombstones and ads is also a good way to see which banks are involved in what types of
activity this year. You may also be interested in Careers.wsj.com.